Want the perfect Valentine for the one who fixed your broken heart? Make your cardiologist these adorable EKG cookies!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar.
- Add egg, heavy cream, and vanilla and almond extracts. Beat again.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Beat.
- Using the largest heart cookie cutter you have, shape cookies and use a spatula to transfer them to a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool cookies for 2-3 hours before decorating.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup water or milk
- Red and pink food coloring
- 6 plastic bags, at least one decorating tip, food coloring, and an icing pen OR
- 3 plastic bags and pre-made decorating pens in your desired colors
- Deposit 1 cup of the sugar in a bowl. Add water by the tablespoon, stirring as you go, until the mixture has the consistency of toothpaste. Place the icing in a plastic bag and configure your icing pen as directed. If you have a pre-made decorating pen, you can skip this step.
- Line the edges of the cookies.
- Dilute the icing with at least 1/6 cup of water or until syrupy. Transfer the icing to a bag, slice one corner of said bag, and flood the cookies beginning at the center.
- Repeat steps 1-3, adding in food coloring to both icing batches.
- Allow the cookies to set over night.
- Use the remaining cup of sugar to prepare and decorate as directed in step 1. Carefully adorn the cookies with various heart rhythms before giving them to your favorite doctor.