Enjoy a healthy and delicious mixture of whole grains and monounsaturated fats!
- 1 cup (uncooked) whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup asiago cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Fill a medium-sized pot two-thirds full with water. Turn the knob on the stove to high, and bring the water to a boil. Covering the pot will allow the water to reach boiling point more quickly.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Immediately lower the burner setting to medium. You should discard the pot-cover now, if you have been using one.
- Set a timer for eight to ten minutes, stirring the pasta every two.
- Put basil leaves, pine nuts, asiago cheese, olive oil, and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth, which depending on your food processor should take 20-50 seconds. If the processor is strained, add a tablespoon more of oil.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, strain it and transfer it to a bowl.
- Take 1/4 cup of the pesto you made in the fourth step and put it on the pasta. Toss so that the pesto is distributed evenly. Place the remaining pesto in a Tupperware and refrigerate it for a later date.
- Add parmesan and mix.
- Garnish with slivered almonds, stirring as you do.
- If you are not on a low sodium diet, sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.